Monday, October 15, 2018

LIVING AS A BROKEN JAR

Living as a Broken Jar
Jesus was in Bethany at the home of Simon, a man who had leprosy. During supper, a woman came in with a beautiful jar of expensive perfume. She broke the seal and poured the perfume over his head.Mark 14:3
As we read this description of exorbitant devotion, so often we hone in on the fact that this was a costly, dear, and precious thing, a fragrant, expensive perfume worth more than a year’s wages, that Mary lavishly sacrificed in reverencing her King. Yet her extravagance moves us to ask ourselves, What thing that we consider costly and dear might the Lord want us to offer up to him: a relationship? a habit? a cherished possession? Perhaps it is one of the gifts God has given us that lies hidden or saved for use for a time that never comes. These very treasures could bring light to restore someone’s faith, to touch someone’s heart, to change a life. One of these important things could be the very “jar” that he wants us to break before him. Notice, Mary broke open the jar, representing that her life was no longer centred in herself but in Christ Jesus, that she counted him as the treasure above all others.
Is your life a broken jar, the contents poured out in joyful abandonment to the Lord? Of those who live as broken jars, Jesus says, they have “done a beautiful thing to me” (Mark 14:6, NIVNIV).

DEAR LORD, please show me the things that I consider dear and precious that need to be broken so that I, too, may do a beautiful thing to you. The most costly gifts I can give you are my life and my love in ways that are pleasing to you. I give you also the gifts and treasures you have given me, and I offer them up for your use. Today, let the fragrance of my brokenness bring joy to you.

PRAYER THRIVES IN THE ATMOSPHERE OF TRUE DEVOTION, FOR GOD DWELLS WHERE THE SPIRIT OF DEVOTION RESIDES.E. M. Bounds (1835–1913)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what we can do better by sending an email to homeland.studio.media@gmail.com

Support this outreach by sharing this post on your social media. God bless as you do so.