Monday, January 28, 2019

Saint Dallan Forghaill

Saint Dallan Forghaill

Also known as
  • Cluain Dallain
  • Dallan Forchella
  • Dallan Forgaill
  • Dallan of Cluain Dallain
  • Eochaidh
Profile
Son of Colla Mac Erc and Forchella; related to Irish royalty, and to Saint Aidan of Ferns. Noted student who went blind as a young man; some said it was due to too much reading. Chief bard and poet of Ireland in 575; he reformed the Bardic Order, thus helping preserve the Gaelic language and literature. His most famous work is Ambra Choluim Kille (Eulogy of Saint Columba) after Columba had defended the institution of the bards; legend says that upon its recitation, his eyesight was restored. He is generally considered a martyr, having died in an attack on a monastery.
Born
  • c.530 in Magh Slécht, County Cavan, Connaught, Ireland
  • beheaded by pirates in 598 at the monastery at Inis-coel (Inniskeel), Ireland
  • legend says that his head was thrown into the sea, washed back up on shore, and re-attached to his body so he could continue to recite poetry during the attack
Readings

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping Thy presence my light.
Be Thou my wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
Be Thou my battle-shield, sword for my fight,
Be Thou my dignity, Thou my delight.
Thou my soul’s shelter, Thou my high tower.
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always;
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven my Treasure Thou art.
High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven’s joys, O bright heaven’s son,
Heart of my heart, whatever befall
Still be my vision, O ruler of all.
– Saint Dallan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what we can do better by sending an email to homeland.studio.media@gmail.com

Support this outreach by sharing this post on your social media. God bless as you do so.