Monday, November 19, 2018

ATTITUDE INFLUENCES BEHAVIOUR

Attitude Influences Behaviour
Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
One reason my attitudes are so important is that they affect my actions—that is, my behaviour and words. If I have a pessimistic, defeatist, negative attitude, it will be expressed in negative words and behaviour. The reality is that I may not be able to control my environment. Perhaps I have experienced such difficulties as sickness, an alcoholic spouse, a teenager on drugs, a mother who abandoned me, a father who abused me, a spouse who is irresponsible, ageing parents, and so on. Anyone of those situations can be overwhelming. But it’s crucial to realize that I am responsible for what I do within my environment. And my attitude will greatly influence my behaviour.

First Thessalonians 5 gives us some key steps to developing a positive attitude: be joyful, keep praying, and be thankful in all circumstances. As we talked about in yesterday’s reading, being thankful can renew our perspective, reminding us of what God has already done for us and encouraging us that he will help in the future.

If you want to know your attitude, look at your words and behaviour. If your words are critical and negative, then you have a negative attitude. If your behaviour is designed to hurt or get back at your spouse, then you have a negative attitude. Paul gives straightforward counsel in Philippians 2:14: “Do everything without complaining and arguing.” Following this advice and guarding your attitude are the most powerful things you can do to affect your behavior. And your behaviour greatly influences your marriage.

Heavenly Father, when I have a bad attitude, it comes out in the way I talk to my spouse. Please forgive me for my sharp words and negativity. I want to set a goal to avoid complaining or arguing. Instead, please help me to rejoice, pray, and be thankful. I know the resulting positive attitude will bless my spouse and strengthen our marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what we can do better by sending an email to homeland.studio.media@gmail.com

Support this outreach by sharing this post on your social media. God bless as you do so.