Sunday, July 8, 2018

Dealing with Our Doubts



Dealing with Our Doubts
[The boy’s father said,] “The evil spirit often makes him fall into the fire or into water, trying to kill him. Have mercy on us and help us. Do something if you can.” “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.” The father instantly replied, “I do believe, but help me not to doubt!”Mark 9:22-24
The desperate father had already asked Jesus’ disciples to cast the evil, destructive spirit out of his son, but they had failed. It seems the father wasn’t the only one in the story struggling with doubt! The disciples, the Pharisees, and the crowd were filled with doubt and unbelief. Since the disciples lacked the faith to heal the boy, the father turned to Jesus, who responded in compassion and inquired not only into the boy’s condition but also into the condition of the father’s heart. We need not be afraid to follow this humble man’s model and be honest with God about our doubts. But at the same time, we can pray as he did, asking Jesus to strengthen our faith and help us when we struggle to believe. Then we will see, as the boy’s father in Mark’s account saw, that with the dynamic combination of belief and prayer, anything is possible.

LORD, you know my deepest thoughts, all the places within my heart. When my faith is weak or I struggle with doubts about your care for me, enable me to turn to you and be honest about it. I believe in your power to accomplish anything, but grant me greater trust and faith in you.

EVERY STEP TOWARD CHRIST KILLS A DOUBT. EVERY THOUGHT, WORD, AND DEED FOR HIM CARRIES YOU AWAY FROM DISCOURAGEMENT.Theodore Ledyard Cuyler (1822–1909)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what we can do better by sending an email to homeland.studio.media@gmail.com

Support this outreach by sharing this post on your social media. God bless as you do so.